Shopping the Sale
President’s Day is one week away! For some, it’s just another day off. For others, it’s a day to shop some great sales! This is a time when a lot of big-ticket items are on sale – appliances, furniture, mattresses & cars are quite common. But will you get a deal, or get taken for a ride?
If I’m buying a big-ticket item, I like to plan ahead, so I can get what I want at a price I’m comfortable with and not get rattled by the person trying to make a sale.
Some things to think about when you’re on the prowl for something specific:
1. Why do I want this item?
2. What features do I want and need? Which ones am I willing to pay for, and which ones are unnecessary – and could save me money if I go without?
3. How much do I want to spend? Is it in my budget?
4. What’s the most I’m willing to spend?
5. If I can’t get the item I want, with the features I want, at the price I want, am I willing to walk away and wait until later to purchase?
6. Do I need extras like delivery, setup, warranties? How much am I willing to pay for these extras, and have I added that amount to my budget to pay for the item?
7. If I can’t pay cash for this item today, is it worth paying extra on financing, to take it home today, or can I wait and save the money to pay cash later? What’s the sale price really worth, versus interest payments?
Go on the offense and don’t let a pushy salesperson tell you what you want or need! Knowing what you want and what you’re willing to spend also puts you in a great negotiating position!