For many, budgeting is a bad word! Just saying it can cause stress, anxiety and leave you feeling completely overwhelmed. But what if we change how we look at it? Some see budgeting as restrictive, but when done right, it can actually be freeing! Budgeting doesn’t mean sacrifice – it means choice! So where do you start? For over 20 years, Michele Cagan has focused on helping people navigate their personal and business finances, to solidify their financial futures. She joins us to talk about her latest book, “Budgeting 101.”
In This Episode
- You CAN have lattes & lunches when you’re on a budget!
- Make S.M.A.R.T. Goals – Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic & Time-bound Michele says “A Goal is a dream with a plan!”
- The pitfalls of “lifestyle creep” and how you can stop it from happening!
- Alternatives to payday loans and how to break out of the cycle
- Why it’s better to pay off debt before saving or investing
- Making more frequent debt payments can save you money – even if you don’t pay extra!
- Always make more than your minimum payment – even if it’s only one dollar!
- The Power of Compound Interest – and how it can work for or against you!
- Always put some fun money in your budget – it’s important!
- Having options & resources reduces financial stress
- Beware of debt settlement companies – you can settle or negotiate your own debt!
- Ways to find “extra” money in your paycheck and bank account
- Dealing with unexpected expenses – without racking up debt!