If you’re in debt or just struggling to make ends meet, paying for the holidays can be stressful. Still, many people would rather add to their debt than not give Christmas gifts – even if it means stressing all year long to pay it off.
What if you gave great personalized gifts, without spending a dime? All it takes is a bit of creative thinking and time.
It’s the thought that counts, right? This may seem a bit cheesy, but it’s true! Think about the best gifts you’ve received through the years. Is it the price tag or the gift that really matters? How many gifts do you actually remember getting – and why? What was special about those gifts?
Great gift ideas are the ones that show someone really knows you. If you think in those terms, there are TONS of possibilities!
Think about each person on your list:
- Is he/she your significant other? Treat them to a day or week off from their “chores” whether it’s cooking dinner, doing laundry, cleaning the house, taking out the trash, mowing the lawn – whatever they dread most!
- Does he/she have young kids? Give them free babysitting!
- Is he/she a young kid? Give them an afternoon of your time to play whatever games they choose.
- Is he/she short on time? Offer to be their free personal assistant for a day and knock out some errands, like grocery shopping or going to the post office.
- Is he/she a close friend or family member? Write a letter, telling him/her how much they mean to you and why – share happy memories and things you’ve learned from them.
- Write a song or poem
- Make a playlist of all the songs that remind you of them, and record yourself talking about why each song made the list!
- Create a family trivia game with index cards!
- Make a photo collage or slideshow of your best times together!
- Give them a memory jar, or an inspiration jar – find an empty jar and fill it with slips of paper containing your favorite memories or inspirational quotes
The ideas are endless, so get creative! Share your heart and give a gift that will warm theirs, without destroying your budget!